Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Kolya a bully?

Kolya was outside today riding his bike with some of the neighbor kids. I went out to call him in for dinner and I see him riding his bike and crying. I called him to me and asked him what was wrong. He told me that his friend Jace had choked him. I noticed that he also had a bloody lip. Immediatley the mama bear in me reared up and I took Kolya's hand and marched over towards Jace intending to have a talk with him and his mom. As we approached Jace he looked at Kolya and said, "Sorry Kolya". The quick, but genuine apology slowed me down a bit. I asked both boys what had happened.

After peicing there stories together I discovered that Jace had called Kolya a crybaby. This made Kolya mad, so Kolya punched Jace. Jace then punched Kolya in the lip, and choked him (I don't know what exactly they meant when they said choked. I don't think it was as bad as it sounds). So in the end instead of going off on this kid and his mom, I ended up making Kolya apologize to his friend, and Kolya isn't allowed to ride his bike tomorrow.

Is this what I get to look forward to in raising a son? I've been trying to teach Kolya to control his temper. To use words, not to yell, and certainly not to hit. Apparently I haven't done such a good job at it.

Want to know the kicker? Jace is only 6! (Kolya is 7 1/2) They are the same size at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment