Thursday, November 5, 2009

And the mom of the year award goes too....

On Wednesdays I volunteer in Kolya's class at school. My friend watches Cora (Amira is at preschool) and I take Eliana with me because I don't like leaving my baby with people (except for family). Yeah well, maybe I need to rethink that because on last Wednesday she would have been better off at my friend's house with Cora.

So I help out in Kolya's class for my alotted 45 minutes. We were playing a game with flashcards and I was wearing Eliana. She was great and fell asleep on me (all of this information is irrelevant, by the way. Feel free to skip to the end). It was time to go so I gathered my stuff up and went out to my van. Eliana was still sleeping so I was trying to be really careful as I put her into her carseat so that I wouldn't wake her up. As I was trying to maneuver her I accidentally hit the lock button on my keys. I didn't want to jostle Eliana any more than I had to so I ignored it, thinking to myself, "I'll just unlock it before I get in." So I get Eliana into her carseat and I tossed my keys onto the drivers seat out of habit. That way my hands were free to buckle her in. I get her buckled in and shut the door. Just as the door is clicking shut I think, "Crap!". But it is too late. I just locked my baby in the van with my keys! "No, no, no, no, no, no no!" I exclaim as I try in vain to open up any of the doors, just in case. I even tried the back, just in case, but to no avail.

Realizing defeat I ran back into the main office and asked Annette at the front desk if I could use the phone and a phonebook because I just locked my baby in the van. As I'm flipping through pages trying to find a locksmith in Rigby, Anette tells me that she will call the police department for me and see if they can come right away and open up my van. So she calls the Rigby police and tells them that I need someone to come unlock my vehicle, emphasizing the fact that there is a baby locked in. I went back outside to stand by my van, peering in at my baby who is getting increasingly agitated because she has woken up and her hat has moved so that it is over her eyes. The police get their really fast and within moments have opened up my van. So after all was said and done it really wasn't that big of a deal, but I hope to never go through that again.

Oh, and Eliana was absolutley fine, except being a little put out by her hat. After the door was unlocked I took her hat off and she was all smiles.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really glad you shared this story because I can relate all too well! If it ever happens again, give me a call and I'll send Chris over.

    Oh, and speaking of awards, I gave you one from my personal blog so make sure you go to my "Honestly" post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You do get an award!!!! You are a great mom!
    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete